Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme is popularly known as CMCHIS. CMCHIS was launched on 11th January 2012 by the Government of Tamil Nadu, and it is a positive move for the people of Tamil Nadu. CMCHIS is a very successful health insurance scheme as more than 65% of the population of the state is enrolled under this government health insurance scheme.
The Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme (CMCHIS) provides health insurance on a large scale to low-income, underprivileged families in the state of Tamil Nadu. The scheme helps families get cashless healthcare facilities in network hospitals in medical emergencies, including hospitalization costs, diagnostic tests, and follow-up treatments.
CMCHIS or Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme, provides financial aid to underprivileged families in case of medical emergencies. A beneficiary can avail of the following coverages under this CMCHIS scheme:
- Hospitalization: CMCHIS scheme covers the insured against the treatment expenses incurred during hospitalization. However, it should be on the list of medical procedures allowed under the Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme.
- Diagnostic Procedure: Hospitalization during a medical emergency costs a lot of money. However, diagnostic testing also requires a lot of money for medical emergencies. CMCHIS plan covers the policyholder for expenses incurred due to diagnostic tests.
- Follow-Up Treatment: Generally, health insurance plans from private health insurance companies do not provide coverage against follow-up treatment. But CMCHIS or Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme also covers follow-up treatments to reduce the financial burden of the insured.
Below mentioned are the features of the Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme or CMCHIS:
- Family Health Plan: CMCHIS offers a family health insurance type of health insurance scheme. The benefits under this government health insurance scheme are available to all the registered members of the eligible family. Families covered under this Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme need not worry about future medical emergencies.
- Cashless Claims: The beneficiary of this government health insurance scheme can avail of cashless medical treatment at the network hospitals. That means you are not required to make any payment after receiving the treatments.
- Free Health Camps: The network hospital organizes free health camps at least once every month. The insured can visit these health camps from time to time for free health check-ups and follow-ups.
- Health Coverage for Srilankan Refugees: A Sri Lankan refugee may enrol in CMCHIS regardless of their financial level. Thus, they can avail of seamless healthcare at the desired centre.
- 24x7 Assistance: For inquiries about the Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme, the Government of Tamil Nadu has set up an active call centre. If any person is facing a problem and looking for a solution regarding the scheme, they can get a solution by calling the call centre.
- Sum Insured: CMCHIS offers a high sum insured amount of INR 5 lakh for every family per year.
This health insurance scheme (CMCHIS) covers various medical procedures and treatments. Here is a list of the medical procedures that the scheme covers:
Pediatric intensive care
Endocrinology (follow up procedure)
Paediatrics plastic surgery
The Government of Tamil Nadu has launched the CMCHIS or Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme to provide healthcare facilities to underprivileged families. Below mentioned are the eligibility criteria to enrol in this government health insurance scheme:
- The family should be a resident of Tamil Nadu.
- The insured member should be mentioned in the ration card of the family.
- The applicant can be a Srilankan refugee if he/she has proof of citizenship.
- The annual income of the family should be less than INR 72K.
- Those moving from other Indian states with migration certificates issued by the relevant authorities (should be residing in Tamil Nadu for a minimum of 6 months).
- Rescued/Orphan girl children from any registered/unregistered organization.
CMCHIS, Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme, has a very simple and easy enrolment process. This process can be done quickly if the applicant has all the required documents. Below are the following steps to enroll in CMCHIS:
- Get a certificate of income from the revenue authorities or village administrative officer.
- Bring all the documents with you to the enrollment centre.
- Request the kiosk operator to verify the documents.
- Your fingerprints, picture, eye scan, and other biometric information will then be taken.
- Your e-card will be issued after verification and biometric scanning.
The following documents are needed to apply for the CMCHIS or Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme:
- Income Certificate
- Xerox and Original Ration card
- Self-declaration from the head of the family
Following are the documents that you should carry at the time of enrollment:
- Proof of identity
- Address proof
- Aadhar card
- Pan card
Chief Minister Health Insurance Smart Card Download
The authority issued a smart card (Maruthuva Kapitu Thittam Card) at the time of enrolment. If the beneficiary loses their card, they can again download it online. The following are the steps to download a Maruthuva Kapitu Thittam Card:
- Visit the official of Maruthuva Kapitu Thittam
- Enter the required detail with the ration card number or URN
- Click on ‘Generate e-card.’
Now that your e-card is generated. You must save the created e-card to complete the download of the Tamil Nadu government health insurance card. The Maruthuva Kapitu Thittam ID card download file can be used in a medical emergency.
To search the member ID, the CMCHIS beneficiary must have at least their URN or ration card number. Follow these procedures to look for a member ID:
- Visit the official website of CMCHIS and Click on “beneficiary”.
- The next page will show you the list containing links for e-card/Member search and Member ID.
- Click on the “Member ID” option.
- The next page will ask you for information regarding your URN number and other details.
- Fill out the asked information and click on ‘Search’.
- The result will show you the “Member ID”.
The CMCHIS or Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme has empanelled a large number of network hospitals. It means the beneficiary might not be required to pay the hospital bill from their pocket.
To avail of the cashless hospitalization benefit, the beneficiary must provide either the smart card or the Maruthuva Kapitu Thittam Card to the hospital in case of a medical emergency. A beneficiary needs to show this smart card or the Maruthuva Kapitu Thittam Card to the hospital authorities. The hospital authority will send the related information to the Third Party Administrator (TPA) or insurance company. After verification, the claim will be directly settled with the network hospital.
Toll-Free Number: 1800-425-3993
You can call any of the following numbers if you are having trouble reaching a call centre operative:
For queries or grievances, use the following addresses:
The Project Director
Tamil Nadu Health Systems Project (TNHSP)
3rd Floor, DMS Annex New Building
259 Anna Salai, Teynampet
Chennai – 600 006, Tamil Nadu.
CMCHIS Project Office
Chief Minister’s Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme
No.226, Om Sakthi Towers,
Kilpauk Garden Road, Kilpauk,
Chennai-600010, Tamil Nadu
Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme FAQs
The toll-free number of CMCHIS or Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme is 18004253993.
No, your grandchildren are not eligible to take benefits of CMCHIS or the Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme.
Yes, many types of dental treatments are covered under CMCHISTN or Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme.
Only cashless claims are allowed under the Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme, or CMCHIS at the empanelled hospitals.
Yes, the cost of abdominal hysterectomy is covered under CMCHIS or Chief Minister Comprehensive Health Insurance Scheme.
The beneficiaries receive the smart card at the time of enrollment. If you lose a smart card, you can download the Chief Minister Health Insurance smart card. The following are the steps to download the chief minister health insurance smart card:
- Visit the official website of Maruthuva Kapitu Thittam
- Enter the required details
- Click on the “Generate E-Card” option
- Now your smart card has been generated
- Save file of your “smart card”
Now, you can use this chief minister comprehensive health smart card at the time of medical emergency.
The toll-free number of CMCHISTN is 1800-425-3993.