Addiction might make you feel better for some time, but the damage it brings with it is unimaginable. It is a matter of time before you become a lost cause and end up in one of those rehab institutions. But, the question that comes to mind for a person with health insurance is whether the insurance company will cover the expenses incurred for the rehab.
Consider the value of investing in your health. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and abstaining from drugs and alcohol is crucial. Before entering rehab, many people research whether their health insurance will cover the cost of their treatment. With the COVID scenario, more people emphasise addiction and mental health issues.
Health Insurance Rehab Coverage
Your mental health has a significant impact on your overall well-being. This aspect of your well-being influences how you function psychologically, emotionally, and socially, among other things. That is why the government and insurance companies place such a premium on mental health.
The IRDAI has mandated that all health insurance coverage for mental illnesses be provided in light of the deteriorating mental health caused by COVID-19. Because of this, you don't have to worry about whether or not your health insurance will pay for rehabilitation. To choose the best health insurance plan to protect you from addiction, you must carefully read the terms and conditions.
How Health Plans Work in Addiction Cases
Numerous factors determine how and what your insurance will cover your expenses at rehab facilities that accept insurance. Here are a few typical elements of an insurance plan for addiction treatment.
- Duration of the Treatment: the length of the treatment cannot be pre-determined as it depends on case to case. So, the insurance company has to decide when they will pay the amount of rehab coverage in your health plan.
- Deductible: This implies that you must also cover a portion of the costs associated with your treatment. Plans vary depending on the policy type, but the insurance company typically covers between 50-60 per cent of the costs.
- Clinical Assessment: The insurance company will have a clinical assessment of the damage. Your treatment is only covered if they notice indications of drug or alcohol abuse, addiction, or dependence.
Health Conditions Covered by Mental Health Insurance
- Acute depression
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Bipolar disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Anxiety disorders
These are some of the health conditions covered under mental health insurance. It is important to note that many more illnesses are covered besides these.
Documents Needed for the Claim
To ensure smooth claim processing, policyholders must submit the following paperwork when filing a claim:
- Health Policy Details
- Original Documents
- Nature of the illness
- Relationship of the person with the insured person
- Address Proof and other documents
Every insurance plan is different. The most important thing is to understand the details of your health policy when buying. You never know what may happen in future, so you need to be ready for everything. Addiction sounds bitter, but it happens often, and you need a health insurance plan to cover all of this to ensure that you are not drained financially while going through so much emotionally.