If you have just recovered from coronavirus and you are looking to buy health cover for yourself, you may not be able to do so immediately. Top private health insurance companies like Max Bupa, Care Health Insurance, ICICI Lombard, Manipal Cigna, and HDFC Ergo General Insurance have introduced a ‘Cooling off’ period that ranges from two weeks to three months for people who were infected by coronavirus.
The Cooling-off period is the time during which an Covid-19 affected person may not be able to buy health insurance. It can range from a few days to couple of months.
Why Is the Cooling-off Period Being Applied?
- There is a lack of clarity about the long-term effects of Covid-19 on the health of the patients. There have been documented cases of pulmonary, cardiovascular, and coagulative related problems, so underwriting new policies have become complicated.
- The accuracy of the tests is still in question because there have been many instances where variances were witnessed depending on a myriad of factors.
- The Cooling-off period allows a reasonable time for the emergence of any complications related to the Covid-19 infection which may have a bearing on the issuance of a policy.
- The Cooling-off period is essential to ensure that the health of a customer is evaluated in a fairly and accurately. For instance, many times a person does not know that he is suffering from Covid-19. However, he can get diagnosed with the virus in the future. So, the Cooling-off period ensures that the customers know that the infection is not a pre-existing condition and hence, they will not have any issues in getting their claims settled in the future.
What is the Cooling-off Period for Different Companies?
- ICICI Lombard: The cooling period for the company is 15 days.
- Manipal Cigna: The cooling period for the company is 90 days.
- HDFC Ergo General Insurance: The Cooling-off period is 45 days from the day of the diagnosis.
- Max Bupa Health Insurance: The Cooling-off period is three months from the day of testing negative.
- Care Health Insurance: The Cooling-off period is three months.
In a nutshell, you need to get a health insurance policy before you contract the virus so that you can avail the benefits of the insurance without delay. If you have not been infected with the virus then it is a wise decision to get yourself insured so that in case a situation arises, you can set off the costs that you incur during the period of recovery. Before you get the policy, read the rules and regulations carefully and check whether the policy covers infections. Disclose all the information at the time of issuance of the policy so that you can avoid the discrepancies that may lead to a rejection of the claim. Also, renew your health insurance on time and check the amount of claim that you can get. A health insurance policy can save you from incurring huge financial liabilities in case there is a health emergency.