The Regional Transport department of Bihar was founded under Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. The main objective of the Regional Transport Office in Bihar is to follow and execute various provisions and laws stated under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. The RTO of Bihar is an essential and integral part of the Transport Department. The transport department of Bihar was founded to successfully enforcing the provisions that are laid down in the Motor Vehicles Act.
The Bihar Transport Department, regulates the Bihar RTO. The Head of the Transport Department of Bihar is the State Transport Commissioner, responsible for ensuring the enforcement of various provision, rules and regulations stated under the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. The Bihar transport offers multiple services to facilitate the welfare of people of the state and road transport and the safety of the people. It also provides other services such as issuing a driving license, registrations of the vehicles, issuing various permits, collecting road tax, issuing a fitness certificate to different commercial vehicles, etc.
Major Role of Regional Transport Offices Bihar Includes:
The following services are provided by Bihar RTO as stated under various provisions, rules and regulations of the Motor Vehicles Act.
1:- Registration of Motor Vehicles-
Issuing any Fresh Registration certificate
Issuing of Temporary Registration certificate of the Vehicle
Registration of New Vehicle along with registration details
Issuing and Renewing of Certificate of trade
Issuing Fitness Certificate
Issuing any duplicate registration certificate in case of loss of the original one
Issuing of re-registration certificate of a vehicle
Registering change of address of the vehicle owner
Providing no objection certificate or clearance certificate to the owner of the Vehicle
Providing a certificate of ownership transfer of the Vehicle
Renewal of the certificate of registration of any non-transport vehicle like Cars, Motorcycles, jeeps, etc.
Noting/ termination of Hypothecation, Lease Agreement, or Hire Purchase of the Vehicle.
Providing refund for tax (if any) in case of lifetime tax
Approving release or surrender of vehicle records
Cancellation of the registration certificate of a vehicle
Any other function as may be stated under the aforesaid Act or rules and regulations of the Act
2:- Issuance of Permit-
Bihar RTO service includes issuance and renewal of both temporary and permanent permit to various passengers and good vehicles, which include the following:
- Luxury cabs
- Auto rickshaw
- Private sector vehicles such as cars, motorbikes, etc
- Goods carriage
- Educational Institutes Buses
- City cabs
- Maxi cabs
- Prepaid Taxi
3:- License Renewal-
- Issuance of learner licence if the vehicle owner is learning to drive
- Issue of Duplicate license in case of loss of the original one
- Issuing license to capable, fit, and expert candidates
- Issuance of permit of International Driving
- Renewal of Conductor or Driving license
4:- Collection of Motor Vehicles Taxes-
Bihar RTO is primarily responsible for tax collection which includes the collection of following taxes on motor vehicles and keeping note of various tax exemption which are provided under the prescribed Act.
Tax paid on Quarterly Basis
Lifetime Tax (if applicable)
5:- Other work-
RTO Bihar provides the following additional functions along with primary tasks as mentioned above. The secondary functions are:
- Measures for Road Safety- RTO undertake various measures for the safety of drivers on the road and ensure its implications. It also enforces traffic rules. It takes keen projects and interest in road safety. It also provides affordable traffic rules for the people of the state.
- Emergencies- RTO Bihar ensures to take over vehicles during important events such as elections or any crises.
- Measures for control of Air and Noise Pollution- RTO ensure the proper checking of Air and Noise Pollution and enforce rules and regulation to maintain both the pollution in check. It also ensures all the vehicles have a pollution-free certificate before plying on the road and subject to a fine in case of failure. RTO also take measures for pollution control in the state.
Must Read: How to buy a Motor Insurance online?
Various Charges of Regional Transport Office Bihar
The charges levied by the Bihar Government for the registration of vehicles are as follows:
Temporary Registration: Fees for all types of vehicles- Rs. 40/-
Permanent Registration: Fees for Different types of Vehicles:
Two -Wheeler Vehicle- Rs. 60/-
Autorickshaw or Two Wheeler Imported vehicle- Rs. 200/-
Jeep or any commercial car or Light goods vehicle- Rs. 300/-
Mini Bus or Medium goods Vehicle- Rs. 400/-
Tractor or Truck or Bus- Rs. 500/-
Heavy goods vehicle or Stage or Contract Carriage buses- Rs. 600/-
Four Wheeler Imported Vehicles- Rs. 800/-
How to know your Regional Transport Office-
To check or know your RTO or regional transport office, you can check the registration number plate of your vehicle. The first four alphanumeric digits state the RTO in which the vehicle is registered. The First two Alphabets stand for the state code- BR for Bihar, and the next two numbers state the RTO code in which the vehicle is registered.
List of Regional Transport Offices in Bihar-
There are 57 RTOs actively functioning in the state of Bihar under the supervision of the transport department Bihar. The list of all the RTO is stated below, stating its location and codes. The working hours of the regional transport offices are generally from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
Contact Details of Bihar RTO:
Transport Commissioner, Bihar
Vishwesaraiya Bhawan, Bailey Road,
RTO Patna - 800 015,
Patna, Bihar 800001
Phone No - 0612-223333
|RTO LOCATION||RTO CODE||RTO LOCATION||RTO CODE|
Types of Vehicle Registration in Bihar
There are two types of vehicle registration, Temporary and Permanent registration. Both the process of registration is equally essential.
Temporary registration is provided to the vehicle for a limited time. It can be availed easily through the vehicle dealer at the time of purchase of the vehicle. In opposition, permanent registration is valid for a more extended period of 15 years. It can only be availed by approaching the concerned regional transport office in Bihar.
- Temporary registration- In case of Temporary Registration, the vehicle owner will have to submit the relevant documents to the vehicle dealer at the time of purchase of the vehicle. The dealer of the vehicle provides the vehicle owner with a temporary registration number through the online dealer’s point process of registration. The application for the registration is then further sent to the concerned RTO in the area for approval of the vehicle registration.
- Permanent Registration- For availing permanent registration of the vehicle, the vehicle owner will have to directly approach the concerned nearest RTO in the area of his/her residence and apply for a permanent registration certificate of the vehicle. Once the relevant documents are submitted and verified correctly by the RTO, registration number will be allotted to the vehicle owner by the concerned regional transport office.
How to Registration a vehicle in Bihar?
- You are required to visit the concerned RTO which is nearest to your residential address with the following below stated documents and application form.
- Submit the duly filled application form and the documents at the counter of the office of the department.
- After the documents are verified and checked by the RTO thoroughly, the vehicle is required to be produced by the vehicle owner at the RTO for its examination.
- The responsible authority will check and verify the vehicle, and if everything is satisfactory, then the registration number will be assigned by the concerned RTO to the vehicle.
- The vehicle owner is also provided with a receipt which is the proof of registration of the vehicle until the RTO Bihar provides the registration certificate. Normally 30 days are required for obtaining the registration certificate.
- After the vehicle owner receives the vehicle registration, the registration number consisting of letters and numbers is allotted to the state government by the central government. It will be assigned to the owner or the applicant's vehicle. The registration number is required to be displayed by the vehicle owner on the back of the vehicle within 30 days of its registration. This number is known as the registration number plate.
The permanent registration of a vehicle in Bihar is valid for 15 years from the date of its registration in case of private vehicles, and in case of transport vehicles, permanent registration is valid for as long as the fitness certificate of the vehicle is valid. For renewal of the vehicle registration, you are required to apply within 30 days of its expiry.
Documents required to Registar a vehicle in Bihar Regional Transport Office (RTO):
The documents required to be submitted by the vehicle owner for obtaining a registration certificate from the concerned regional transport office Bihar are stated below.
- Form 20- It is an application form through which the vehicle owner can make an application for the registration of the new vehicle. The form can be downloaded online from the official website of RTO Bihar.
- Form 21-It is a vehicle sales certificate that specifies that the seller and the buyer of the vehicle are registered.
- Form 22/22A- It is a vehicle roadworthiness certificate. It is a declaration that states that the vehicle that is to be registered is in compliance with the pollution and safety standards as provided under the authority responsible. Dealer issues roadworthiness certificate of the vehicle.
- Insurance Certificate of the motor vehicle.
- Two passport size photographs of the vehicle owner
- Receipt of purchase as issued by the dealer.
- Temporary registration certificate of the vehicle if the vehicle has been registered earlier temporarily
- Clearance certificate as issued by the customs department in case the vehicle is imported.
- In case of termination or endorsement of hire/purchase agreement of the vehicle, the vehicle owner also has to provide bank and other financial documents of the vehicle.
- The Oath letter is also required if the vehicle is a privately owned vehicle and is an Omnibus with 6 to 12 seating capacity.
- In case of any vehicle bought from any other state or outside the state of Bihar, then the payment receipt of entry tax must be submitted to the commercial tax department.
- In case of the vehicles previously owned by the army, the original sale certificate of sale is also required.
- In case of a trailer or a semi-trailer vehicle, a approval document of the State Transport Commissioner of Bihar for the approval of the design of the vehicle is also required to be submitted.
- Address proof of vehicle owner
- Age proof of vehicle owner
- Proof of Indian Citizen is also required to be submitted.
- A copy of the PAN card of the vehicle owner is also required in case of the motor vehicle of more than Rs 4 Lakh
- In case the vehicle owner is a foreigner, a copy of the owner's visa is required to be provided.
After submitting the documents above and the application form, the Registering department will verify the documents and information and inspect the vehicle to be registered.
Upon verifying all of the above, the concerned regional transport office will provide the registration number to the vehicle owner and a receipt. This receipt is useful only until the vehicle owner does not receive the original registration certificate card, which will be then sent to the registered email address of the vehicle owner.
How to book a fancy/choice number in Bihar RTO?
The transport department in Bihar keeps aside some special numbers out of the numbers available for vehicle registration. These numbers are called fancy registration numbers, which can be brought through an open auction. In an open auction, the highest bidder of the number will be allotted the demanded registration number only after payment of the prescribed fee, which is generally higher than normal registration fees. The authority may allow unutilised numbers to certain vehicles, which the state/central government may own at no extra charge.
Suppose a vehicle owner wants to keep the old vehicle registration number the same in the new vehicle being registered. In that case, the vehicle owner will be charged 50% of the registration fee for the same as fixed by the transport department for the number. Individuals who want to obtain a fancy number for their vehicle can obtain it only by bidding for the desired number through an open auction which is organised by the Transport Department of Bihar. The highest bidder will be allotted their desired vehicle registration number from the concerned RTO Punjab after payment of the prescribed fee.
To ply your vehicle in the state of Bihar freely and avoid payment of any charges, fines, fees, or penalty, you must register your vehicle with any of the regional transport offices in Bihar. The Transport department of Bihar has simplified the process of registration of the vehicles to benefit the vehicle owners/ people of the state of Bihar. Vehicle owners can use Bihar RTO’s portal or the official website of Bihar RTO for registration or any application request. When you buy a vehicle, you can easily use your vehicle dealer’s services to register your vehicle. Almost all the dealers in the state of Bihar provide the service of temporary registration number in exchange for a fee/ price. However, if you wish to do the registration by yourself, you can proceed by following the easy steps mentioned above.
To know how to buy the best insurance in India, click here and compare it on RenewBuy's online portal with multiple companies before buying.