Situated on the vast coastline of the Arabian Sea, the state of Kerala is one of the most noted places on the tropical Malabar Coast of the country in the southern part of India. The beauty of the backwaters, palm-lined beaches, intertwining canals, the tea and coffee slopes of the Western Ghats, along the wildlife highlights the state's exclusive natural beauty. There are several national parks Periyar, Eravikulam, and Wayanad, the homes for tigers, monkeys, and langurs.
Thiruvananthapuram, which was formerly known as Trivandrum, is the capital of Kerala. The British colonial aesthetic architecture juxtaposed with the traditional Indian architecture and aestheticism highlights the features of the state. It is also noted for several shopping complexes to satisfy the trivia of the shopping enthusiasts.
RTO Trivandrum is maintained and regulated by the respective Kerala government. The RTO office Trivandrum is vested with the important responsibilities of formulating and implementing new traffic rules and the revision of the existing ones. The Transport Commissioner is the administrator and the Head of the Department. RTO Thiruvananthapuram is also held responsible for the overall maintenance of the traffic law and order of the city.
Roles and Responsibilities of Trivandrum RTO:
1. Driving License:
- Conducting a test for the issuance of the driving license
- Issuing both driving licenses as well as the learner’s license as per requirement
- Renewal of the Driving license
- Issuance as well as the renewal of the Motor Driving School license
- Issuing International Driving license for the deserving candidates
- Adding a special class of vehicle to the Driving license
- Issuance and renewal of the driving instructor’s license
- Issuing Driving license for the conductor
- Assisting with any sort of DL-related applications
2. Registration certificate and associated works:
- Issuance of both temporary as well as permanent Registration Certificate
- Ownership transfer in the RC
- Issuance of duplicate Registration Certificate in case of damage or loss of the same
- Updation of the changed address in the RC
- Loan or entry hypothecation in the Registration Certificate
- Issuance of NOC for inter-state transfer of any vehicle
- Renewal of the trade certificate
- Checking and issuing the fitness certificate of the vehicle
- Issuing several types of permits like stage permit, carriage permit, etc
3. Collection of taxes and revenues for the government:
- Road tax/ Motor Vehicle Tax
- Fees collection for IMV (Inspector of Motor Vehicles)
- Departmental Action cases
4. Inspection of vehicles at the check posts:
RTO Trivandrum is responsible for the inspection of every vehicle at each check post.
5. Ensuring safety and pollution control:
- PUC testing
- Conversion of vehicles to LPG/CNG
6. Ensuring road safety for the general public:
The Trivandrum RTO office ensures the proper management and implementation of the rules and regulations of the traffic laws for the safety of the public.
RTO Trivandrum Contact Number:
|Trivandrum RTO Helpdesk Sarathi services||+91-120-2459169 (6 AM- 10 PM)|
|Helpdesk online services||0471-2328799, 0471-2333317/2333337 Exn- 666|
|Complaint cell RTO office Trivandrum phone number||9188961100|
|Address||5th Floor, KSRTC Terminal, Thampanoor, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala- 695023|
Types of Vehicle Registration at RTO Trivandrum:
- Temporary Registration: While buying the vehicle the temporary registration is provided. The validity of this registration is one month and before its expiry, you need to apply for the permanent registration.
- Permanent Registration: Possessing a permanent registration is mandatory for each vehicle to ply on the roads of Thiruvananthapuram. Every single active vehicle must be registered with the RTO office Trivandrum. As soon as your temporary registration expires, you should seek permanent registration to avoid legal obligations. The nearest RTO office trip is sufficient to fulfil these requirements after completing the necessary paperwork and submitting the required registration fees.
Motor Vehicle Insurance in Trivandrum, Kerla:
The development of the roads and transport facilities have been beneficial in more ways than one for the public, but such developments are not free from certain faults. It has witnessed a hike in road accidents. Therefore, it has become mandatory for every single vehicle in the country to possess insurance coverage to ensure safety in case of unforeseen circumstances. So, for plying your vehicle in Thiruvananthapuram, you must have vehicle insurance.
A motor vehicle insurance policy is responsible for providing complete protection under unprecedented circumstances and emergencies that may suddenly arise during the course. There are three basic types of insurance coverage under Motor Vehicle insurance:
- Third-party liability: Covers any legal liabilities arising out of accidental claims for any third person, vehicle or property. It does not cover your vehicle damage expenses. This insurance is mandated by the government of India. New vehicles are required to have 3 and 5 years of mandatory third party coverage for cars and bikes respectively.
- Comprehensive car insurance: Covers both third-party liability of the vehicle as well as own damage. This is the overall protection of your vehicle from all sides.
- Personal Accident Cover for the driver, the passengers, and the owner-driver
There are also add-on covers for enhanced financial support and assistance that will provide you with extra coverage. This will be beneficial for covering all the extra charges. The add-on coverages include Key replacement Cover, Zero Depreciation Cover, NCB Protection Cover, Roadside Assistance Cover, and so on.
Before settling for any insurance policy, you must carefully read all the terms and conditions and other necessary details for ease of usage and claim settlement.
1. What are the eligibility conditions for obtaining a license?
If the applicant is aged between 16 and 18 years, he/she can apply for a driving license along with the written consent of the parents or the legal guardian for driving a motorcycle below 50cc.
2. What are the details of the driving test?
Any learner license holder possessing a learner’s license for at least 30 days is eligible to appear for a driving test. There are two parts to the driving test. The primary part is the ground test while the second part of the test is the road test. The primary part will test the efficiency of the control of the applicant while the second part will justify the driving skill. If the applicant is eligible to clear both the parts, then he/she becomes eligible to possess the driving license.
3. How to apply for a Certificate of Fitness?
Firstly visit the official website of the motor vehicles department at https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/. Apply for a Certificate of Fitness online. An OTP will be received at the registered mobile number. Pay the relevant charges as per the prevalent CMV rules through online medium and then the vehicle concerned must be produced duly for inspection. You must file this application prior to the expiry of the previous certificate to avoid penalty.
4. How to apply for ownership transfer of vehicles?
Firstly, visit the official website of the motor vehicles department and file the online application of ownership transfer jointly signed by both the seller as well as the purchaser. An OTP will be sent to both of their registered mobile numbers. Submit the necessary fees and upload all the relevant documents along with the jointly signed copy of the application form. The application for ownership transfer must be filed within one month before the transfer of the concerned vehicle.
If you are an applicant of a non-transport driving license and age below 50 years, you require Form 1 and if you are above 50 years, then Form 1A will be required. While applying for a learner's license, you need Form 2 and the learner’s license form, Form 3.