Being a commercial centre in the state of Gujarat, Surat is known globally for the textiles and diamond industries and the manufacturing of diamond jewellery. The city is developing rapidly with IT companies setting up their off-site offices. This has led to an increase in road transport in the city, and it is expected to increase further in the upcoming years.
The RTO Surat was established under the jurisdiction of Section 213(1) of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. Major functions of RTO Surat are related to the issuance of DL, Registration Certificate, and provision of permits. RTO Surat is also responsible for ensuring that the public abides by the rules and regulations laid down by the MV Act. Moreover, it also ensures the improvement and growth of road transport facilities in the city.
Roles and Responsibilities of RTO Surat:
1. Driving License:
- Conduct a test for the issue of driving license
- Issuance of the driving license and learner’s license
- Renewal of the DL
- Issue and renewal of the Motor Driving School license
- Issuance of the International Driving License
- Addition of a class of vehicle to the DL
- Issue and renewal of the driving instructor’s license
- Issue of a DL for the conductor’s
- Assistance with any applications related to DL
2. Registration Certificate (RC) and Related Work:
- Issues permanent and temporary RC
- Transfer of ownership in the RC
- Issue of a duplicate RC in case of loss, damage, or theft
- Change of address in RC book
- Entry or loan hypothecation in the RC book
- No Objection Certificate Issuance (in case of sending the vehicle to a different state)
- Renewal of the trade certificate
- Checking the vehicle fitness and issuing a vehicle fitness certificate
- Issuance of permits like carriage permit and stage permit
- Issue of a duplicate RC in case of loss, theft, or damage
3. Tax & Fees Collection:
- Motor Vehicle Tax/ Road Tax
- IMV (Inspection of Motor Vehicle) Fees Collection
- DA (Departmental Action) Cases
4. Environment Safety and Pollution Control:
- Pollution Under Control Testing
- CNG/LPG conversion of vehicles
5. Taking steps to ensure the safety of people on the road:
Surat RTO ensures that the people follow all the traffic rules and regulations and take steps in case there is something that can be improved to make the roads more secure.
Surat RTO Contact Number and Address:
|RTO Address||RTO Office, Ring Road, Nanpura, Surat, Gujarat – 385001|
|Timings||10 AM – 5 PM|
Must Read: List of all city’s RTO code in Gujarat
Types of vehicle registration at RTO Surat:
- Temporary Registration: The temporary registration is provided to you at the time of buying the vehicle from the showroom. You can only drive in Surat for one month with this registration. Before it expires, you need to apply for a permanent registration at the RTO Surat.
- Permanent Registration: It is mandatory for every vehicle plying on the roads of Surat to have a permanent registration. Every vehicle driving on the roads in Surat must be registered with the RTO office Surat. You must apply for a permanent registration at the nearest RTO. To apply, you must visit the nearest RTO, fill out the form and submit all the relevant documents along with the registration fee.
Get Vehicle Insurance in Surat Gujarat:
With the development of road transport in the city, there has been a growing need for Motor Vehicle Insurance. It is mandatory if you want to drive your vehicle on the roads of Surat.
A motor vehicle insurance policy offers complete protection from any emergencies that may arise on the road. Under the motor vehicle insurance policy, you can get the following coverages:
- Comprehensive Insurance
- Third-Party Liability
- Personal Accident Cover for the driver, owner-driver, and the passengers
You can also get add-on covers that will increase the financial assistance and provide you extra-coverage. This will provide a boost to your insurance policy so that you can cover all the extra charges. The add-on covers include Zero Depreciation Cover, NCB Protection Cover, Key Replacement Cover, Roadside Assistance Cover, etc. that will be beneficial for you.
Before you buy an insurance policy you must understand all the important information that may influence your decision to buy an insurance policy. These include the amount of coverage, the premium, the claim settlement process, etc. It is advised that you buy the insurance policy after careful consideration and comparison.
1. What documents do I require to get my vehicle registered in Surat?
In India, it is mandatory to get your vehicle registered it drive it on the roads. The documents that you need include forms no 20, 21, and 22 along with your ID proof, address proof, insurance document, custom clearance document (in case the vehicle is imported), and STA approval (in case it is a trailer).
2. What documents do I require to transfer the ownership of my vehicle to Surat?
The documents that you need to transfer the ownership of your vehicle are form no 19 and 30 (including chassis number filled using a pencil), form no 31 (in case of the auction), form no 32 (in case of inheritance) PUC, address proof, insurance document. Original RC, and tax (as applicable).
3. How can I get my address changed in my RC book in Surat?
To get your address changed you must fill form no 33 with a chassis print and submit documents like original RC, insurance document, NOC (in case you have taken a loan for the vehicle), PUC certificate, and address proof along with the applicable fees.
4. How can I get a duplicate RC in case I have lost it?
To get a duplicate RC you need to apply with a police report stating the loss, PUC, insurance document, proof of address, NOC (from financer), and the applicable fees.
5. How can I get my vehicle re-registered in Surat if I have relocated here?
If you have relocated to Surat then you must get your vehicle re-registered here. You must visit the RTO Surat office and submit all the relevant documents with a prescribed form along with the applicable road tax in Surat. Also, you have to submit a NOC that you have to get from the state where your vehicle was previously registered.