Driving in foggy conditions? Follow these tips to stay safe
We love to go out on trips during winters as it is the best time of the year for doing so. But at the same time, we are faced with the hazard of fog. Anyone who has the experience of driving a bike in foggy condition will admit that it is quite difficult a task.
Fog reduces visibility to a major extent, generally, 1/4 mile or less and makes driving a challenging experience. It is a major issue, especially in the morning and at night time. Given below are some tips to avoid any mishaps while driving your bike in foggy conditions.
- You need to keep your tank full when riding your bike in the foggy weather. It just ensures that you do not find yourself running out of fuel in the middle of the road as it is quite possible that you might not notice the fuel stations on your way. So, it’s better to be safe.
- If you are wearing prescription lenses, make sure that it is not tinted, polarised or photochromatic in nature. Given the foggy condition, your visibility will already be compromised, and you would not want to make it worse with tinted lenses. Also, ensure that your lenses are sparkling clean.
- Before you go biking in foggy conditions ensure that your tyres, controls, lights, oil, chassis and stands, all are in good condition. If they are not working properly, it is preferable to retrieve them to working condition before heading out.
- As crazy as it may sound, it is more effective that you keep your low beams on, rather than high beams. The high beams tend to reflect off the fog which reduces your visibility.
- Use your fog light if you have them along with your low beams.
- Your visibility to other drivers is of vital importance. The more visible you are to others the better chances of avoiding collisions. You can opt for wearing jackets with reflective materials. You can also drive with your emergency flashers on. It is widely accepted for bikers to ride with their emergency flashers on so it will not be a problem as it wwill make you quite visible to others on the road.
- Another important tip is that you should not forget to tap your brake lights at regular intervals. In this way, the motorists behind you are aware of your presence.
- You must obey the traffic signals while riding your bike in the fog. Watch out for traffic while taking turns and do not forget to use hand signals as and when necessary.
- Speed is an essential factor while riding in foggy conditions. You need to control your speeding urges during foggy conditions for better control in case of sudden braking. Do not speed unless it is essential to do so.
- And lastly, check the weather conditions before heading out. It’s preferable not to go out for a ride unless you have to go out to work. Even then try using public transport.
Follow these tips to easily avoid bike accidents in foggy conditions and keep your bike covered with a proper two wheeler insurance policy.