Safety Tips for Night Driving
Driving at night is a difficult task as the visibility can be low due to vehicles running on the opposite side with lights on high beam. And not to forget, night time is also the time when sleep strikes! Here are some tips to keep you safe during the night drive-outs.
- Be attentive while driving and don’t hesitate to park the vehicle in case you feel drowsy. Park the vehicle at the nearest petrol pump or eatery, walk around and stretch yourself before continuing the journey. If required, take a 20-30 minutes nap to refresh yourself.
- Drive with your vehicle on high beam to make sure the road ahead is clearly visible. Driving at night on unfamiliar roads maybe dangerous if the road condition is not good.
- Flash your beam lights if the approaching vehicle is on high beam and causing difficulty in your vision. Make sure you never blind them with your vehicle head lights as this will blur their vision and increase the chances of a collision.
- Do not look directly at the high beam light of approaching vehicles. This will blind you for some time even after the vehicle has passed.
- Dim your dashboard lights, clean the windshield properly and if you wear glasses, make sure they are anti-reflective.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol. Doing so is even more dangerous at night as visibility is low and if the driver is impaired because of alcohol, the chances of an accident are high.
- Drive slowly, maintain your lane and be aware of drivers who over speed and do not maintain their lane.
- Carry necessary car equipment that will be of use in case of mechanical breakdown; getting help at night is really difficult.
And last but not the least, always carry your bike or car insurance policy papers, driving license and other relevant documents with you.