Section 213A of the Motor Vehicles Act 1988 established the regional transport office, Chandigarh. Its goal is to ensure the smooth functioning of the transport mechanism in the region. The office also registers vehicles, grants driving licenses & permits and collects road taxes. It is entrusted with the responsibility of enforcing the implementation of the following:
- Motor Vehicles Act-1988
- Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1990
- Chandigarh Motor Vehicles Rules 1993
The office is divided into two departments; Licensing and Registration Authority and State Transport Authority. This is done to ensure the smooth functioning of the system.
Work of Chandigarh RTO:
Chandigarh RTO is a government body. Thus it is expected to work in the same as its State counterparts. But Chandigarh is a union territory. Some of its responsibilities may differ from the transport offices State Governments run. Given below are some of the things Chandigarh RTO does for the general public:
- Issues learner’s license
- Issues permanent driving licenses
- Renews driving licenses
- Issues duplicate driving licenses
- Registers vehicles
- Issues temporary and permanent registration certificates
- Issues duplicate registration certificates
- Re-registers vehicles in the instances of inter-state purchases
- Accepts requests to transfer ownerships
- Grants International permits
Chandigarh RTO Office Locations:
To be able to fulfil its duties, RTO Chandigarh functions from different locations. The following is a table with detailed information in this regard:
|District||Name of Authority||Registration Mark Series|
|Chandigarh||Sector 17, Chandigarh - 160017||CH-01|
|Chandigarh||Sector 17, Chandigarh - 160017||CH-02|
|Chandigarh||Sector 17, Chandigarh - 160017||CH-03|
|Chandigarh||Sector 17, Chandigarh - 160017||CH-04|
- For learners’ licenses: INR950 (Single Class of Vehicle) + INR. 450/- (Additional fee per extra class of vehicle)
- For duplicate driving licenses: INR. 420/-
- Renew a driving license: INR. 420/-
- To renew an expired driving license after the grace period is over: INR. 1520/-
- To renew driving license after five years after the grace period is over: INR. 1520/- + Late fee after expiry of DL w.e.f 29/12/2016 1000
- Late fee before 29/12/2016 INR. 50/- per year
- To add another class of vehicle: INR. 1020/-
- To replace or to make changes in driving license: INR. 420/-
- To get International permit: INR. 1000/-
- License for a new conductor: INR. 135/-
- To renew the license of a conductor: INR. 140/-
- To get a duplicate conductor’s license: INR. 140/-
- To replace or to make changes in conductor’s license: INR. 140/-
Types of Vehicle Registration in Chandigarh RTO
Chandigarh, known as the cleanest and arranged city of the country, is a union territory. It is relatively more stringent in implementing the MVAct 1988. You need to take the insurance required for your vehicle to register it here. You should have at least the liability coverage that is the minimum legal requirement to stay safe on the road.
Contact your nearest regional transport office and get the application form. Fill it right and submit it to the concerned authority. Don’t forget to pay the required fees in the counter. If the application is accurate, the office proceeds with the process. And upon verification, you receive an acknowledgement. You will get the same within one week of applying. You can get to the counter of the high-security registration plate and get the plate fixed onto your vehicle.
Click here, to compare and buy a best Vehicle Insurance online.
What Documents Required to Register a New Vehicle in Chandigarh RTO?
- Form 20 filled accurately
- Sale certificate from the dealer
- Pollution under control certificate from the dealer
- Temporary registration certificate from the dealer
- Pencil print of the chassis number
- Self-attested copy of proof of address
- Attested copy of valid insurance certificate
- Affidavit of the address proof (if there is any)
- Form 34 signed both by the owner and the financier (if the vehicle is on loan)
- Road tax clearance certificate
- Proof of date of birth
- Registration fees
- Acknowledgement of special registration if available
- Invoices from the dealer and the manufacturer
- A self-attested copy of PAN card
- Reason for the delay or extension if the vehicle is registered after one month of temporary registration
If the vehicle is submitted after three months of temporary registration, you should submit the NCRB/MOB report from the police headquarters.
You can go either for temporary or permanent registration as per your requirements. The first one may be the best choice if the manufacturer needs more time to build the vehicle’s body. It will also work fine if you need to transfer a non-transport vehicle from an RTO to the bought place. If you decide to go for permanent registration, do it within seven days of delivery.
Registration of other State Vehicle in Chandigarh-
Registering a vehicle from outside a State happens in two scenarios:
- The owner sells it to someone living in another State
- The owner decides to settle down in another State for good
What is the process to Renewal a Registration Certificate (RC) in Chandigarh?
To renewal the registration certificate, follow the steps given below:
- Get the no-objection certificate (NOC); this is the first legal document you need for the purpose. Contact your nearest RTO to apply for it.
- Fill the application form
- Present it along with the required documents to the office concerned
- Pay the required fees in the counter
- The officials start pencil-tracing your chassis number against the registration.
- The office inspects the vehicle and announces the registration number
- If the vehicle clears the inspection, it receives a receipt. This is for use until you receive the actual registration certificate.
- The vehicle owner receives a registration certificate within 30 days of application
How to Apply for a no-objection certificate (NOC) in Chandigarh?
Applying for a NOC (No Objection Certificate) in Chandigarh is relatively easy. All you need is to submit the following documents:
- Duly filled form 28 (this is the application for the NOC)
- An undertaking from the vehicle owner along with a recent photograph
- A self-attested copy of the registration certificate
- The chassis and the pencil print
- A self-attested copy of a valid insurance certificate
- Valid insurance certificate
- NCRB report from the police station; Do as per the instructions you receive from the authorities.
- Signature identification of the owner; signature on PAN card, driving license or specimen signature attested by a gusseted officer
- A latest photograph
- Agreement letter from the financier (if applicable)
- Letter of authority (if applicable
Make sure that you bring the originals of all attested certificates.
How to Get a VIP Number for Vehicle in Chandigarh?
People in Chandigarh have the highest standards of living. Quite naturally, they will go for a VIP number for their vehicle. They want to make sure that the vehicle they own declare who they are?
Remember the points given below when applying for the same in Chandigarh:
- The process of getting a fancy registration number is a combination of online and offline mechanisms.
- The online mechanism (e-auction) is available only for those who bought their vehicles in Chandigarh. You should also have the documents to prove it. You have to submit the same when applying for a VIP registration number.
- The only documents required for e-auction are the sales letter and the address proof, and Aadhar card
- See to it that the address on the sales letter and the residential address are the same
- Upon verification, you receive a unique acknowledge number.
- If you need VIP numbers for more than two 2-wheelers, you need to register each separately.
Do the following After Receiving the UAN:
Contact the registration and licensing authority Near Municipal Corporation Building, Sector-17, Chandigarh
Pay the required fees for the e-auction and the amount required for the number you chose.
Remember, the e-auction fee, INR. 500/-, is non-refundable.
The reserved amount for the number should be submitted as a demand draft in favour of the registration and licensing authority; the draft should be valid for three months
If you register for multiple VIP numbers, it is equal to the highest reserve amount among the VIP numbers.
If the number is available, you receive a log-in ID and password as an email.
The registration remains open for one week after the e-auction.
The bidding will be open for at least three days after the start of the auction.
The bidding amount increases in the multiples of 1000 for each category.
The result is automatically generated. And the winner gets intimation both through email and as an SMS.
The winner should submit the balance fees within one month of bidding.