Thane is a metropolitan city in the state of Maharashtra. The city is directly adjacent to Mumbai and is part of the Mumbai Metropolitan Region. Thane is India's sixteenth most populous city. Maharashtra State Transport Department has control over Thane RTO.
Transport facilities in rural and urban areas are under severe pressure because of the state's economic growth. With the increased use of two-wheelers and four-wheelers for quick transportation, there is a direct rise in the number of accidents and air pollution. Motor Vehicle Departments were established to handle these responsibilities and to enforce the regulations, tax laws, and other provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act.
Roles and responsibilities of RTO Office Thane:
Services related to Driving License:
The Thane RTO Office offers two types of driving licenses, Learner’s License and Permanent License. Anyone who wishes to have a permanent driving license has to apply for a Learner’s License initially. After clearing the driving test conducted by Thane RTO can obtain a permanent Driving License. Other services offered by RTO Office Thane related to Driving License are as under:
- Renewal of the Driving License
- Changes in the Driving License
- Issuance and renewal of the Motor Driving School license
- Issuance of the International Driving License
- Issue and renewal of the driving instructor’s license
- Issue of a Driving License for the conductor
Registration Certificate and related work:
Issuance of a Registration Certificate is one of the most important responsibilities of the Thane RTO Office. The Thane RTO Office issues RC to both privately held vehicles as well as commercial vehicles. Apart from issuance of Registration Certificate to vehicles the following related service are also offered:
- Transfer of ownership in the Registration Certificate
- Issuance of a duplicate Registration Certificate in case of loss, damage, or theft
- Change of address in the Registration Certificate
No Objection Certificate Issuance:
No Objection Certificate is an important document when the vehicle owner is planning to shift their vehicle registered under Thane RTO to a different city or State or viz.
- Trade Certificates: Issuance of Trade Certificates is needed for every car dealer for carrying out their business. The Thane RTO Office issues trade certificates to all the car dealers running their business under the jurisdiction of Thane. Additionally, a duplicate trade certificate is issued in case of loss, damage, or theft of the existing trade certificate.
- Hypothecation Related Work: Whenever a vehicle owner purchases a vehicle through a financial institution or bank then hypothecation of the vehicle is an important responsibility of Thane RTO. So, it is mandatory to hypothecate the vehicle in the name of the bank or financial institution until the full repayment of the loan is done. Thane RTO carries out the endorsement of hypothecation services.
- Issuance of Permits: A permit is important for vehicles carrying out freight, transportation of goods, and passenger services. Thane RTO issues permits to the vehicles. Two types of permits are issued by Thane RTO namely – National Permit and Local Permit.
Important services offered by Thane RTO Office are as under:
- Collection of taxes namely Motor Vehicle Tax and Road Tax
- Inspecting the vehicle's fitness and issuance of vehicle fitness certificate.
- Testing and Issuance of Pollution Under Control Certificate
RTO Office Thane Contact Details:
|Thane RTO Code||MH-04|
|Office Address||Opposite Central Jail, Thane, Maharashtra - 400601|
|Phone Number||91-22-25343580, +91-22-25363838, +91-22-25442555|
Types of Vehicle Registration in RTO Thane:
The two types of vehicle registration offered in RTO Thane are:
- Temporary registration: This will occur when a new vehicle is purchased by the buyer and may be used for a period of up to one month within the original 7 days from the date of delivery of the car. The vehicle owner will then be obliged to apply for a permanent certificate.
- Registration of Permanent Vehicle: A valid registration certificate from the RTO office should be issued as soon as possible. The same can be issued when the required documents are properly submitted at the nearest RTO.
A motor insurance policy is one such tool that can assist a car owner in times of trouble, such as an accident. Vehicle insurance is required in India, as driving without a valid policy is considered a criminal offense and an act of negligence. Residents of Thane who wish to drive or ride their vehicles on Thane roads are only permitted to do so if they have adequate insurance coverage.
All vehicle owners operating vehicles on Indian roads are required to have a motor vehicle insurance policy. Sections 146 and 147 of Chapter XI of the Motor Vehicle Act 1988 make vehicle insurance mandatory. A motor insurance policy protects the owner of the vehicle in the event of an accident on the lane. The forms of coverages available under a motor vehicle insurance policy are as follows:
Comprehensive Car Insurance Policy: Under this coverage, the insurance policy protects all third-party and vehicle owners' risks or losses. This policy covers any injury caused to the car owner or a third party. This insurance policy is expensive and must be updated annually because it has 360-degree coverage.
The insurance policy covers the liability or losses caused to the third-party car, as well as injuries caused to the third party, as the name implies. This insurance policy does not cover any losses or injuries to the car or its owner. This insurance policy has a lower premium than a comprehensive auto insurance policy.
1) What do I do if my Thane driver's license is stolen?
If your driving license is stolen in Thane, you must first go to the police station and file a report. You must then obtain an affidavit claiming that you have lost your driver's license.
2) Is a driving license obtained in Thane valid in Bengaluru?
A driving license issued in Thane is valid in Bengaluru as well.
3) Do I have to pay any fees to receive a Thane driver's license form?
Yes, a fee of Rs. 30 is needed to obtain a driving license form in Thane.
4) In Thane, how can I check the status of my driver's license?
You can check the status of your Thane driver's license online or in person at the RTO office. You can check your status online at https://parivahan.gov.in. The applicant must enter his or her application number and date of birth, after which the application's status will be shown on the computer.
5) In general, how long would it take for my driver's license to arrive?
After passing the exam, your driver's license should arrive at your door in two to three weeks.