How to Add A New Class to The Driving License?
It is quite possible that you would have applied for a two-wheeler license only. And now, with time, there is a possibility of buying a four-wheeler. In that case, adding a new class to the driving license would be the easiest solution. But how to add a new class to the driving license is a question that needs some answers.
There are other possible scenarios, as well. If you had an LMV or light motor vehicle license and now need to add a two-wheeler’s license, the same would be applicable. Or if you had an LMV license and need to add an HMV or vice versa. In any case, you would need an answer to how to add a new class to the driving license?.
What is the process of Adding a New Class to DL?
To add a new class on the existing license, the process remains more or less like what you would do for a new license in the first place. Here is a step by step guide for the same.
- You need to download Form 8 or get it from a local RTO
- Fill the application form for the addition of another class
- You would then need to get an effective learner’s license for the new class
- Post that, you would need to present your original effective driving license
- You would need to pay appropriate fees as per Rule 32
- You can then schedule a date for the driving test
- The schedule must be anytime between completing one month of learner’s license issue and before the completion of six months.
- Once you complete the driving test on the stipulated date, you add the new class to your license.
You would need to keep in mind that though the process remains similar, each state has its take on it. You can visit your state’s RTO website or visit an RTO office to know the exact requirements.
For example, if you are looking for ways how to add a new class to the driving license in Delhi, there are a few additional formalities and documentation. For starters, you would need to furnish the school certificate of standard 8 for specific driving categories. If you are applying for transport vehicles, you would need to attach Form 5,14 and 15.
For someone staying in Telangana State, they would need to submit Form 1 A or a medical certificate for transport purposes only. How to add a new class to the driving license has slightly varying answers for respective states.
Thus, it is recommended to visit the RTO or website of your respective state to get additional information regarding the documents required or additional processes involved.
Form 8 Details:
If you are looking for ways to add a new class to the driving license, one of the key ingredients is Form 8. This is a common step across all RTOs. A duly filled Form 8, along with supporting documents, is essential to get an additional class.
The Form is essentially a digitized version of a letter addressed to the licensing authority. You can apply for the addition of a new class for any one of the following.
- Motorcycle without gear
- Motorcycle with gear
- Invalid carriages
- Light motor vehicle
- Medium goods vehicle
- Heavy goods vehicle
- Medium passengers motor vehicle
- Heavy passengers motor vehicle
- Road roller
Documents required for adding new category in driving license
- Form 1 or medical certificate.
- Learner’s license for the new class you wish to apply for.
- A copy of the existing driving license.
- Duly filled Form 5 if you want to drive a transport vehicle.
Lastly, you would need to mention the fees you have paid for the application form and sign the document.
The Form also has a short form on the bottom for the driving test. Once you apply for a learner’s license, you schedule a date for your driving tests. Upon completing the test, the person who conducted the tests would need to sign that section.
The above steps would help you with how to add a new class to the driving license. The process is not all that complicated. You need to ensure that you provide all the documents without any fail and follow up with the RTO if required, and the new class will be on your license.