Goa Transport department of Goa was formed and created under the provisions of prescribed Section 133 of Motor Vehicles Act,1939. The Transport Department is the primary body to look after and comply with all the transport-related activities and act as the top regulatory body or regulatory department which controls all the activities related to transport in Goa. The transport department of Goa also ensures that sufficient facilities are made available to the common people in the state of Goa. RTO in Goa functions under the supervision and jurisdiction of Goa Transport Department. The transport department is primarily responsible for carrying forward all the regulatory provisions laid down in the Motor Vehicles Act and activities that go into the operation of goods and passenger transport motor vehicles - both private and commercial vehicles. Because of these regulatory functions and activities, Transport Department in Goa is one of the major revenue earners in the state.
The Regional Transport Offices in Goa is responsible for carrying out services such as registration of every vehicle plying on the roads of Goa, issue of the fitness certificate for vehicles, re-registration of vehicles in case vehicle owner shifting to the state of Goa, issuance, and collection of road tax of the vehicle, transfer of ownership of a vehicle, issuance of a permit and such other driving-related services to the people of the state of Goa.
Role of Regional Transport Office Goa:
The Regional Transport Offices in Goa provides various functions and services to the common people of the state of Goa. The various functions which RTO Goa performs includes:
- Registration of the vehicles plying on the roads of Goa
- Issuing and renewing of permanent registration certificate
- Issuing and renewing of Temporary registration certificate
- Approval and cancellation of the Hire purchase agreement
- Transfer of ownership of the vehicle
- Renewal of registration, both temporary and permanent
- Re-Registration of the vehicle in case of any vehicle owner shifting from any other state to the state of Goa
- Change of address of the vehicle owner on the registration certificate
- Issuing of No-Objection Certificate both within and outside the state of Goa
- Issuing of duplicate Registration Certificate
- Issuing of learner’s license to the vehicle owner who is learning to drive
- Issue and renewal permanent license to the vehicle owner
- Renewal of driving license
- Addition of any other class of vehicle to driving license
- Providing information on various driving guidelines
- Undertaking various pollution control measures
- Issuing Pollution Under Control certificate
- Ensuring proper check and control of air as well as noise pollution
- Issuance of duplicate driving license in case of loss of original one
- Issue of various vehicle permits
- Issue and renewal of fitness certificate of the vehicle
- Collection of various tax including road tax
How to register your vehicle in Goa RTO?
Section 39 of the Motor Vehicles Act restricts any owner of the vehicle from driving any unregistered vehicles on the roads of the state of Goa or in public places, and it is the responsibility of the concerned RTOs to register every vehicle plying on the roads of Goa.
For those residing in Goa's state, wish to drive or ply on the roads, they are needed to have a valid driving license obtained from the concerned regional transport office. The whole procedure for applying a permanent driving license is carried out at the Regional Transport Office in the jurisdiction of the vehicle owner's residence. The Regional Transport Office is the place where all driving-related services are carried out. RTO Goa issues the learner's license and permanent driving license. If the vehicle owner's driving license has expired, the RTOs process is renewing the candidate driving license. In case the holder of the driving license loses his/her document, they will have to apply for a duplicate driving license at the jurisdictional RTO in Goa.
How to know your Regional Transport Office in Goa?
All the Motor vehicle have a license number in India which have been registered with the concerned regional transport office of the respective State. The district-level transport Office of the respective State or the union territory issues the vehicle's license number plate. According to the Indian Vehicle Number Plate design, the initial two characters of the registration number plate are designated to the State. The next two numbers are for the district or local level RTO offices. In the case of the State of Goa, the registered Vehicles number plate has initial two characters as GA, which stands as Goa, and the next two numbers are the RTO code in which the vehicle has been registered.
Must Read: How to buy best motor vehicle in India?
List of Regional Transport Offices in Goa:
There are 12 Regional Transport Offices that are actively working in different locations and jurisdictions in Goa. These RTO details are given below with their RTO Codes:
Contact Details of Goa RTO
The Directorate of Transport
Government of Goa 1st lift, 1st-floor Junta House 18th June Road Panaji Goa
Phone: 0832 2225606, 0832 2225724
|RTO LOCATION||RTO CODE||RTO LOCATION||RTO CODE|
|Panaji (North Goa district)||GA-01||Margao (South Goa district)||GA-02|
Types of Vehicle Registration in Goa
- Temporary Registration: The Transport Government of Goa prohibits any dealer from selling vehicles to buyers who are not registered under the Act by the Motor Vehicles Transport Department, Goa. There are two situations in which RTO Goa allows temporary Registration of the vehicles. One of the vehicles requires more time for building the outer body over the chassis, and the second is if the non-transport vehicles are taken to an RTO from the place where the vehicle has been bought for registering it. Temporary Registration can be easily availed by filling and submitting the application form which C.R Term A. Temporary registration in the state of Goa is valid only for 7 days. However, it can extent for some time in some cases. For any non-transport vehicles, the period may be extended for another 30 days. Temporary Registration is offered only for a limited period and is provided when you buy a vehicle. It is provided when a vehicle is purchased from a dealer’s showroom. Temporary Registration comes at the time of purchase of the vehicle from the dealer. The registration process generally takes a little time, and the vehicle owner must have the temporary Registration before getting a permanent one. The dealer itself will provide the temporary Registration at the time of buying the vehicle from the showroom. It is valid for a maximum of one month.
- Permanent Registration: As per the Motor Vehicles Rules, all the two/four-wheeler or any other vehicle before plying on the roads of Goa must be registered with the concerned RTOA within 7 days after its delivery. The vehicle cannot be driven as an unregistered vehicle. A vehicle dealer cannot deliver an unregistered vehicle, so it provides a temporary certificate to the vehicle owner at the time of its purchase. The owner has to apply for permanent Registration with the concerned RTO nearest to his/her location. The owner also needs to file an application for the same along with relevant documents as stated.
Process of Vehicle Registration in Goa:
The State Transport Department of Goa is responsible for providing better movement of vehicles and goods and passengers transport within Goa. It ensures proper implementation of the rules and regulations stated in the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. The process of registration of a vehicle in Goa is simple and easy. The process includes filling and applying form and prescribed relevant documents that will be verified by physical inspection of the vehicle. Upon verifying the documents' authenticity and inspection of the vehicle, the concerned Regional Transport Office will issue a registration number to the vehicle owner.
Once the registration number is allocated to a regional transport office vehicle, a fee receipt is provided to the registration applicant, and the branch office keeps all relevant documents. The applicant can use the registration slip provided by the RTO as proof until the original registration number is delivered. After depositing the fee slip, the applicant or the vehicle owner can collect the Registration Certificate and Form 23 on any subsequent working day.
Process of Transfer of Ownership in Goa:
When a vehicle owner in Goa sells his/her vehicle, then the ownership of the vehicle has to be transferred to the new owner of the vehicle, and it requires an ownership transfer certificate. Registration Certificate Transfer can be done only by approaching the concerned Regional Transport Office of Goa and filing an application form to transfer ownership of the vehicle sold. To transfer vehicle ownership, you will require the following documents:
- Original Registration Certificate of the vehicle
- 2 copies of Form 29
- Duly filled application form 30
- Vehicle certificate of insurance of the vehicle
- Valid address proof and Id proof of the vehicle owner
- Pollution under Control Certificate
- An application fee as applicable
- Form 60 and 61, if required
- Pan Card details of the vehicle owner
Transfer of Vehicle ownership in case of legal heir:
If the registered vehicle owner dies, the legal heir of the deceased will have to make an application for ownership transfer of the vehicle. The application is required to be made in Form no 30 and to be submitted along with the below stated documents:
- Original registration certificate of the vehicle
- Form 30- Application form for transfer of ownership of the vehicle
- Form 31 is required to be submitted in case the vehicle is bought on loan
- Death certificate of the previous registered owner
- Certificate of a succession of the vehicle as issued by the authorized person
- An affidavit is required as issued by the applicant for the possession of the vehicle
- Vehicle insurance certificate
- Address proof and Id proof of the applicant
- Pollution under Control Certificate
- Form 60/ 61 or PAN Card copies should be attested
How to get VIP number for a Vehicle in GOA?
According to the Motor Vehicles Act's rules, 1988, a vehicle owner can make an application for a fancy registration number, which is required to be submitted at the concerned RTO during office hours. After the registration number is granted, you will have to submit the relevant charges on the same day to the concerned RTO at the cash counter during office hours which is 10.00 am to 2.30 pm. If more than one application is made for a particular fancy registration number, then the number will be allotted through an auction. The fancy number application has to be made by the applicant in plain paper for any Non-Transport vehicles. The reservation of the fancy number will be valid only for 30days, within which the applicant should complete the registration process of the vehicle.
The registration process has been made very simple by the transport department and the regional transport office for the benefit of the people of Goa. The vehicle owners can use the RTO's portal or the official website of the transport department of Goa for any queries or application requests. You may also use the portal or the official website to check the details about a vehicle. When you buy a new vehicle, you may also use your dealer's services to register the vehicle. Almost all the major dealers of the vehicles provide this service in exchange for a price. However, if you wish to do the registration by yourself, you can proceed by following the simple steps mentioned above.