Odisha Transport Department's (Odisha RTO) function is to implement the Motor Vehicle Act 1988 provisions. The Transport Department of Odisha (RTO Odisha) was founded to carry out the Motor Vehicles Act 1988 provisions. The Transport Department's main objective is enforcing various rules, regulations, and the Motor Vehicle Act 1988 provisions. The Transport Department of Odisha assists other transport service organizations which provide for the development of transport facilities. The regional transport office in the state of Odisha works to provide an efficient, safe, economical and adequate transport service to the people of the state for easy movement of passengers and goods on the roads of Odisha. The Transport Commissioner of the state heads the Transport Department of Odisha. The transport department works together with other organizations to develop transport facilities and offers proper services to the people of Odisha. Regional Transport Office Odisha (Odisha RTO) have a fair set of responsibilities to ensure efficient transportation within the state.
Functions of Regional Transport Office Odisha
Regional Transport Offices Odisha (Odisha RTO) provides numerous functions and services. The primary function of RTOs is to implement and enforce the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act. Odisha RTO is also responsible for providing numerous secondary functions, which are as follows:
Issuance of License
- Issue learner driving licenses for applicants who are learning to drive.
- Issue permanent driving license to the applicants
- Issue duplicate driving license in case of loss of the original one.
- Renewal of driving license after its expiry.
- Addition of any class of driving license
- Issue an International driving permit to the applicant
- Issues national permits
- Issues stage carriage permit
Registration of Vehicles:
- Issuance of Trade Certificate to the owner of the vehicle
- Issuance of Temporary Registration certificate of the vehicle
- Allotment of Permanent Registration certificate of the vehicle
- Renewal of the registration vehicle certificate of the vehicle after its expiry
- Issuance of Duplicate registration certificate of the vehicle in case of loss of the original one
- Provides transfer of ownership of the vehicle
- Provides change of address of the vehicle owner Reassignment of the vehicle
- Hypothecation Endorsement or Hypothecation Termination of the vehicle
- Issues fresh registration to the applicant
- Issues No Objection Certificate to the applicant
- Handles Diplomatic Vehicles
- Provides reservation of fancy number to be allotted in an open auction
- Keeps books of various codes of registration
- Provides categorisation of the vehicles
- Provides display of registration of the vehicles
Issuance of Permits:
Issue and renew of temporary as well as permanent permit of the following vehicles:
- Luxury Cars
- Motor Car
- Maxi Car
- Radio Cars
- Prepaid Taxi
- City Cars
Collection of Taxes:
Odisha RTOs primarily functions to collect road tax and other applicable taxes as follows:
- Life Time Tax
- Quarterly Tax
- Green Tax
- Short Term Tax
- Border Tax
- Countersignature Tax
- Composite Tax
Collection of fees:
- Collection of fees for issuance of driving licence fee, Pollution testing fee
- Collection of the registration fee for both temporary and permanent registration of the vehicle
- Collection of cost for issuance or renewal of the permit of the vehicle
- Fee for model approval
Imposing of Penalty:
- Penalty for Prosecution
- Penalty for Impounding
Various Charges for Regional Transport Offices Odisha (RTO Odisha)
Charges for Registration of Vehicles-
- For motorcycles- Rs: 60/-
- For light motor vehicles(commercial vehicles)- Rs: 300/-
- For light motor vehicles(private)- Rs: 200/-
- Medium goods or passengers vehicle- Rs: 400/-
- Heavy goods or passengers vehicle- Rs: 600/-
Charges of Temporary Registration
50% of the registration fees of all vehicles
Charges for Duplicate Registration Certificate
50% of the registration fees of all vehicles
Transfer of ownership of vehicles
50% of the registration fees of all vehicles
Hypothecation endorsement or cancellation
For all types of vehicle, Rs: 100/- is required for hypothecation endorsement or cancellation.
Must Read: How to purchase Motor Insurance online?
How to know your Regional Transport Office Odisha (RTO Odisha)?
The regional transport office where you must register your vehicle will be nearest to your residential area. Your residential address or business location will determine the location of your regional transport office.
It is also now possible to know the RTO in which the vehicle is registered or the business area of the vehicle. With the vehicle's registration number, we can determine the Regional Transport Office location where the vehicle has been registered. The registered number plate of the vehicle states the RTO in which the vehicle is registered. The number plate consists of alphanumeric digits which state the state in which the vehicle is registered, the concerned RTO's code, and the vehicle's unique registration number. The first two digits of the vehicle's number plate state the state of its registration as OD stands for Odisha. The next two digits state the code of the concerned RTO as "05", which states that the vehicle is registered in the Cuttack Regional Transport Office location in Odisha.
List of Regional Transport Offices in Odisha
35 Regional transport Offices are actively functioning in Odisha. The responsibilities are equally divided among the RTOs by the transport department of Odisha for the convenience of Odisha's public and to keep Odisha's vehicle population in mind. RTO oversees the overall administration of transportation-related provisions and norms in their allotted region. RTO also act as a key body for enforcing the rules and provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act 1988. Each RTO in Odisha includes a Regional Transport Officer, Inspector, Motor Vehicle (IMV), Additional RTO General and Enforcement and sub-inspector of Traffic. The RTO list is given below, along with RTO Codes and their address, which will help you locate your concerned regional transport office.
Office of Transport Commissioner
Transport Authority (STA)
E-mail ID: firstname.lastname@example.org
|RTO Locations||RTO Code||RTO Address|
|Balasore||OD-01||Balasore, Odisha - 756001|
|Bhubaneswar||OD-02||Bhubaneswar, Odisha - 751001|
|Bolangir||OD-03||Bolangir, Odisha - 767001|
|Chandikhol||OD-04||Chandikhol, Odisha – 755044|
|Cuttack||OD-05||Cuttack, Odisha - 753001|
|Dhenkanal||OD-06||Dhenkanal, Odisha - 759001|
|Ganjam||OD-07||Ganjam, Odisha – 760001|
|Kalahandi||OD-08||Kalahandi, Odisha – 766001|
|Keonjhar||OD-09||Keonjhar, Odisha - 758001|
|Koraput||OD-10||Koraput, Odisha - 764001|
|Mayurbhanj||OD-11||Mayurbhanj, Odisha - 757043|
|Phulabani Khandamal||OD-12||Phulbani, Kandhamal, Odisha - 762001|
|Puri||OD-13||Puri, Odisha - 752001|
|Rourkela||OD-14||Rourkela, Odisha - 769001|
|Sambalpur||OD-15||Sambalpur, Odisha - 768001|
|Sundergarh||OD-16||Sundergarh, Odisha - 770001|
|Baragarh||OD-17||Bargarh Orissa - 768028|
|Rayagada||OD-18||Rayagada, Odisha - 765001|
|Angul||OD-19||Angul, Odisha - 759122|
|Gajapati||OD-20||Gajapati, Odisha - 761200|
|Jagatsinghpur||OD-21||Jagatsinghpur, Odisha - 754103|
|Bhadrak||OD-22||Bhadrak, Odisha - 756100|
|Jharsuguda||OD-23||Jharsuguda, Odisha - 768201|
|Nabarangpur||OD-24||Nabarangpur, Odisha - 764059|
|Nayagarh||OD-25||Nayagarh, Odisha - 752077|
|Nuapada||OD-26||Nuapada, Odisha - 766104|
|Boudh||OD-27||Boudh, Odisha - 762015|
|Debagarh||OD-28||Debagarh, Odisha - 768108|
|Kendrapara||OD-29||Kendrapara, Odisha - 754211|
|Malkangiri||OD-30||Malkangiri, Odisha - 764044|
|Sonepur||OD-31||Sonepur, Odisha - 767017|
|Bhanjanagar||OD-32||Bhanjanagar Ganjam, Odisha - 761126|
|Bhubaneswar||OD-33||Bhubaneswar-II, Odisha - 751002|
|Jajpur||OD-34||Jajpur, Odisha - 755001|
|Talcher||OD-35||Talcher, Angul, Odisha - 759100|
Why do you need to register your vehicle in Odisha?
Registration of Vehicles is mandatory as per the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act. Therefore, the owner must register their vehicle in the concerned Regional Transport Office nearest their residential location to ply on the roads of Odisha freely. Plying an unregistered vehicle on Odisha's roads violates the said act's provisions. Therefore, you should register your vehicle when you purchase one to avoid penalties, fees, or other charges.
Types of Vehicle Registrations in RTO Odisha
Similar to other states, vehicle registration in RTO Odisha can be of two kinds- Temporary registration at the time of purchase and permanent vehicle registration within a specified time.
- Temporary Registration: The vehicle dealer usually does the vehicle when purchased. The vehicle owner has to submit the necessary documents with the application form and applicable fees and taxes, including road tax, to get the registration certificate. The vehicle dealer then submits the application form and documents to the concerned RTO Odisha. After verifying the documents, the Odisha RTO issues a temporary registration number for a limited tenure that may be valid for seven days or a month as provided but up to one year.
- Permanent Registration: As the vehicle's temporary registration number is valid only for a restricted time, the vehicle owner should apply for a permanent registration number within the period of temporary registration. An application for a permanent registration number must be made in Form 21 to start the registration process and submit the relevant fee to the concerned regional transport office in Odisha (Odisha RTO). The permanent registration number of the vehicle is valid for 15 years from its registration and is required for renewal after the expiry of the said 15 years. The Odisha RTO vehicle registration number is necessary whenever the vehicle needs to be driven on the state's roads.
Vehicle Registration Process in Regional Transport Office Odisha (RTO Odisha)
To freely drive a motor vehicle in Odisha, the vehicle owner must register their vehicle with one of the regional transport offices in Odisha (Odisha RTO). Each registered vehicle at the RTO Odisha is given a unique registration number, which is assigned to the vehicle at the time of the application for registration. Registration of a vehicle at the Odisha regional transport office requires the vehicle owner to visit the concerned RTO nearest to their residential address and submit the application form and application fees along with relevant documents needed as stated below at the counter of the concerned Odisha RTO. Every registered vehicle is given a registration number for future reference. The application for a registration number can also be initiated online by visiting the state's official website of the state's transport department. In the online process, the Registration Authority will process the vehicle registration after uploading the relevant documents. The applicant must also submit an acknowledgement form and the application form to the Regional transport office to complete the application process to register a vehicle.
Documents Needed for Vehicle Registration in Odisha
The following are the documents that you need to submit at the time of vehicle registration in the nearest Odisha RTO:
- Form 20: Application Form to be duly filled and submitted.
- Form 21: this is the Sales certificate to be submitted
- Form 22: this is the Roadworthiness certificate of the vehicle
- Valid Insurance certificate of the vehicle
- Design approval of the vehicle obtained from the State Transport Commissioner for registration of trailer or semi-trailer vehicles
- Passport-sized photographs of the owner of the vehicle
- Proofs of age and address of the vehicle owner
- Road Tax and the required application fee are also required to be paid
- For registration of a vehicle that has been imported, a certificate of customs clearance is also required to be furnished.
- In the case of vehicle loan hypothecation, Form 34 must be duly filled and submitted.
The documents above are necessary documents required to be furnished for availing the permanent registration number of the vehicle. The vehicle registration certificate number is issued to the owner after the regional transport officials verify all the relevant documents. You can also obtain a fancy registration number by paying an additional application fee through the open auction process.
Process of Registration of Vehicle Brought from Outside Odisha
To transfer a vehicle from another state or permanently shift to Odisha, you must register your vehicle in Odisha. The registration application must be made to the designated Odisha RTO in Form 20 and Form 26. You are also required to submit some documents for the transfer of registration. In case of vehicle transfer, you must also submit a No- Objection Certificate to be obtained from the original registering authority and submit Form 25 instead of Form 20. Along with the above, submit the following documents for availing the transfer of registration of the vehicle in the state of Odisha. The following documents are required to be submitted for re-registration of a vehicle brought from outside Odisha. The documents are required to be submitted along with applicable fees.
- Form 29 and Form 30 to transfer the ownership of the vehicle.
- For changing the address of the registered vehicle, furnish Form 33 along with new address proof.
- Form 28- No-Objection Certificate obtained from the vehicle financier, including the imprint of the chassis fixed on the form.
- All other documents relevant to the vehicle must also be furnished.
- Form AT and FT are to be submitted.
- If the vehicle is commercially used, Form TCA and Form TCR must also be filled and submitted.
- An affidavit is to be submitted by the owner, stating that the vehicle is free from any crime, theft, or past accidental experiences.
- Valid proof of Age and Address of the new owner of the vehicle
- Valid Insurance Certificate of the vehicle
- Passport-sized photographs of the new owner
- Pollution Under Control Certificate
- Suppose the vehicle has been transferred from any other state to Odisha within the first 30 months of its initial registration. In that case, the vehicle owner will present proof of entry of tax payment.
Process of Transfer of Ownership in Odisha
In case a vehicle is bought in Odisha from another state or sold to another State, the ownership of the vehicle must be transferred to the new owner. For transfer of ownership, you will have to apply to the concerned RTO in Odisha by visiting the RTO Odisha and submitting the application form and relevant required documents along with applicable fees for ownership transfer. The following stated documents are required for the ownership transfer of the vehicle.
- Form 29: Application Form to be duly filled and submitted
- Original Registration Certificate of the Vehicle
- Valid ID proof of the vehicle
- Valid Address proof of the vehicle owner
- Form 28: No-Objection Certificate(NOC), which is obtained from the state authority
- Valid document of insurance of the vehicle to be transferred
- PUC (Pollution Under Control Certificate) of the vehicle
- Proof of payment of road tax
- Necessary fee and other charges are to be paid.
Process of Obtaining No-Objection Certificate in Odisha
Below is the process of obtaining a No Objection Certificate from RTO Odisha:
- To apply for a no-objection certificate or NOC for vehicle registration in Odisha, you must visit the area's RTO office.
- You can locate your RTO office with the help of the RTO Location near your residential address.
- You are required to submit the application form for the No-Objection certificate in front of the registering authority.
- The application for a no-objection certificate shall be made in application Form no. 28 (in triplicates) to the concerned RTO. Application form no.28 can be downloaded online from the transport department's official website or obtained from the appropriate RTO.
- Present the application form, the required documents and applicable fees to the designated RTO to verify the same. The officials will start processing your application and provide you with the no-objection certificate.
Documents needed for No-Objection Certificate
Following documents are required to be submitted along with applicable fees to obtain a no-objection certificate from the regional transport office Odisha (Odisha RTO)-
- Form 28: Application Form to be submitted in triplicate
- Certified copy of vehicle registration certificate
- Certified copy of the vehicle insurance certificate
- Certificate of tax clearance
- Pollution Under Control certificate
- Receipt of payment of fees
- Signature Identification of owner (if applicable)
- Aadhaar Card of the owner
- Permit certificate and Fitness Certificate of the vehicle, which is required only in case of transport vehicles.
- Certificate of emission test of the vehicle
To drive freely on the roads of Odisha, you must register your vehicle with the concerned RTO and follow the registration process mentioned above. You should register your vehicle to avoid penalty charges. It is prohibited to drive an unregistered vehicle in Odisha. The process for registration is straightforward and can also be done online.
The Odisha RTO has emerged as a pivotal institution in promoting efficient and safe transportation within the state. Its streamlined vehicle registration process, seamless driver licensing system, enforcement of road transport regulations, and promotion of road safety measures have significantly enhanced the overall transportation ecosystem. The integration of technology has further improved the accessibility and convenience for citizens. The Odisha RTO plays a vital role in ensuring road safety, regulating the transport sector, and facilitating the smooth movement of people and goods across the state.
Odisha RTO FAQs
- What is the role of the Odisha RTO?
Ans. The Odisha RTO is responsible for vehicle registration, driver licensing, enforcement of road transport regulations, and promoting road safety within the state.
- How can I register a new vehicle in Odisha?
Ans. To register a new vehicle in Odisha, visit the nearest Odisha RTO office and submit the required documents, including identity, address proof, vehicle invoice, insurance documents, and emission certificate. The RTO will verify the documents and issue a registration number and certificate.
- What documents are required for obtaining a driving license from RTO Odisha?
Ans. To obtain a driving license in Odisha, you must submit documents such as proof of identity, proof of address, age proof, passport-sized photographs, and a learner's license. You will also need to pass a driving test conducted by the Odisha RTO.
- How can I renew my vehicle registration in Odisha RTO?
Ans. Vehicle registration renewal can be done at the Odisha RTO by submitting the required documents, including the original registration certificate (RC), insurance documents, emission certificate, and proof of address. The RTO Odisha will verify the documents and issue a renewed registration certificate.
- Can I apply for a driving license online in RTO Odisha?
Ans. Yes, the Odisha RTO provides online services for applying for a driving license. You can visit the official website of the Odisha RTO and follow the instructions to apply online. However, you must still personally visit the RTO for document verification and the driving test.
- How can I check the status of my vehicle registration application?
Ans. The Odisha RTO provides an online facility to check the status of your vehicle registration application. You can visit the official website, enter the application number or vehicle details, and check the status online.
- What are the penalties for traffic rule violations in Odisha?
Ans. The Motor Vehicles Act governs the penalties for traffic rule violations in Odisha. The fines vary depending on the nature of the violation, such as overspeeding, improper parking, driving without a valid license, or drunken driving. Following traffic rules to avoid penalties and ensure road safety is important.
- How can I report a complaint or grievance to the Odisha RTO?
Ans. If you have a complaint or grievance related to the Odisha RTO, you can contact the RTO office directly or visit their website for information on the complaint filing process. They may have a designated email address or helpline number for grievance redressal.
- Can I transfer my vehicle registration from another state to Odisha?
Ans. Yes, you can transfer your vehicle registration from another state to Odisha. You must submit the required documents, including NOC (No Objection Certificate) from the previous RTO, original RC, insurance documents, and address proof. The Odisha RTO will verify the documents and issue a new registration certificate for your vehicle.