The Transport Department in Punjab works under the various provisions of prescribed section 213 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. The Transport Department in Punjab has been basically established for implementing the provisions of Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, and the Punjab Motor Vehicles Taxation Act, 1924, which was Amended in 1993 with the rules and regulations provided under these two Acts. The Transport Department of Punjab functions under provisions of section 213 of Motor Vehicles Act of 1988. Punjab Regional Transport Office or RTO Punjab is an important part of Transport Department Punjab, which operates under the Transport Commissioner’s supervision. The transport department's main aim is to ensure proper enforcement of various rules and regulations prescribed in the Motor Vehicles Act. RTO makes the services of transportation easier available to the people of the state of Punjab.
The transport department of Punjab is headed by the Punjab Transport Commissioner and is assisted by other two additional state transport commissioners.
Functions of Regional Transport Office Punjab
- Temporary registration of the vehicle
- Permanent registration of the vehicle
- Renewal of the certificate of registration of the vehicle
- Issuance of duplicate registration certificate in case of loss of the original one
- Updating the registration certificate with any changes such as address change
- Issuing No-Objection certificate for transferring the registration certificate of the vehicle
- Proving Transfer of registration certificate of the vehicle
- Providing termination or endorsement of the Hire-purchase agreement
- Issuance of driving License to the vehicle owner
- Issue of learner’s driving license in case the owner is still learning to drive
- Issuing a permanent driving license to the vehicle owner
- Renewal of driving license of the vehicle owner
- Adding another class to driving license
- Issuance and renewal of various vehicle permits, including permits for commercial use
- Collection of application fees and taxes, including road taxes
- Issue of vehicle fitness certificate to the vehicle.
- Issuance of national permit
- Issuance of permits to stage carriage
- Collection of road taxes and other applicable taxes
- Accepting various fees and penalties
List of Regional Transport Offices in Punjab:
There are 77 Regional Transport offices functioning in different parts of the state of Punjab and are responsible for implementing various provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act and Punjab Transport Department. The details of Punjab RTO are given below, along with RTO codes.
|RTO LOCATION||RTO CODE||RTO LOCATION||RTO CODE||RTO LOCATION||RTO CODE|
|Hoshiarpur||PB-07||Nakodar||PB-33||Dera Baba Nanak||PB-58|
|Abohar||PB-15||Sultanpur Lodhi||PB-41||Nihal Singh Wala||PB-66|
|Anandpur Sahib||PB-16||Samana, Patiala||PB-42||Shahkot||PB-67|
|Baba Bakala||PB-17||Samrala||PB-43||Dhar Kalan||PB-68|
|Barnala||PB-19||Talwandi Sabo||PB-45||Dera Bassi||PB-70|
|Balachaur||PB-20||Tarn Taran||PB-46||Chamkaur Sahib||PB-71|
|Khanna||PB-26||-||-||Guru Har Sahai||PB-77|
How to know your Regional Transport Office?
All the road vehicles have a license number in India which the concerned RTO has registered. The district-level RTO of the respective state or union territory issues the registration number plate. According to the new Indian Vehicle Number Plate design, the initial two characters of the registration number plate are designated to the State in which it is registered. Then the two numbers are for the district or local level RTO. In case of registered Vehicles number plate has initial two characters as PB, which stands as Punjab, and the last two characters are the RTO Code in which it is registered.
Must Read: How to apply for driving license online?
Why do you need to register your vehicle in Punjab?
Motor Vehicles Act of India restricts the vehicle owner from driving an unregistered vehicle. To freely ply your vehicle on the roads of Punjab, it is necessary to get your vehicle registered with one of the RTOs of Punjab. The violation of mandatory registration of the vehicle will lead to legal actions against the vehicle owner. A newly bought vehicle should either have temporary registration or permanent registration. Otherwise, the vehicle owner will be liable for fee, charges or penalty for the same violation. However, in Punjab, registering a vehicle is a simple process. You are just required to approach the concerned regional transport office in Punjab and apply for registration of your vehicle and follow the procedure as stated below.
Types of Vehicle Registration in Punjab:
Like other states in India, Punjab also has two types of registrations: Temporary registration and Permanent registration. A temporary registration can be availed through a car dealer at the time of purchase of the vehicle. Permanent registration can be availed by visiting and making an application to the concerned RTO of the area. Permanent registration is mandatory under Motor Vehicles Act. Temporary registration is offered only for a limited period of 7 days or, in some cases, up to a month. In contrast, permanent registration is valid for 15 years, after which it is required to be renewed.
Process of Temporary Registration in Punjab:
When you purchase a vehicle in Punjab, you must register your vehicle by obtaining a temporary registration number of the vehicle from the car dealer. A temporary registration number provided by the car dealer is valid for only one month, during which you have to obtain a permanent registration number from the concerned Punjab RTO.
Documents required for obtaining temporary registration number of the vehicle in Punjab
- Form 21 and Form 22- Application Form for registration
- Pollution Under Control Certificate
- Valid insurance certificate of the vehicle
- Applicable fees and taxes along with road tax is to be paid as per the provisions of the
- Punjab Motor Vehicles Taxation Act
- Valid Age and ID proof of the Applicant
- Address proof of the Applicant
- If the vehicle is imported, then a Custom clearance certificate of the vehicle is also required.
- In case of a Semi-Trailer or Trailer vehicle design approval certificate issued by the STA is also needed to be submitted.
After verifying the documents and submitting the application form with application fees, you will be allotted a temporary registration number by the car dealer, valid only for one month. You should make an application for a permanent registration number within the period to avoid any penalty.
Process of permanent registration in Punjab Regional Transport Office
The Regional Transport Office in Punjab functions as per the provisions and rules of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988, which states that it is mandatory for any individual owning a vehicle to register their vehicle with the concerned Regional Transport Office in Punjab. On buying a vehicle, the vehicle owner is required to register the vehicle within 7 days from its delivery of the vehicle.
Follow the steps to get a permanent registration number of your vehicle from the concerned RTO.
- Visit the Concerned RTO in your area as per your location with the relevant documents as stated below.
- Pay the applicable taxes and fees and submit the below stated documents at one of the counters of the vehicle registration office
- After verifying the submitted documents, the concerned RTO will register your vehicle and provide you with the registration number of the vehicle.
Documents required for permanent registration of vehicle in Punjab
- Form 20- Registration form of the vehicle
- Form 22- Certificate issued stating that the vehicle complies with the pollution standard and road safety issued by the manufacturer
- Valid insurance certificate of the vehicle
- Pollution Under Control certificate
- Address and age proof documents of the vehicles
- Vehicle Invoice received at the time of purchase
- Form 21- sales certificate of the vehicle which is issued by the manufacturer
- In case of an imported vehicle, a custom clearance certificate is also required to be submitted.
- Passport size photographs of the applicant
- Prescribed taxes as prescribed under the Punjab Motor Vehicles Taxation Act is also required to be paid
- Applicable Fees for permanent registration of the vehicle is to be paid
- Provide the Temporary registration number allotted to the vehicle
- In case of registration of the semi-trailer or trailer vehicle, a certified copy of the approval of the design certificate issued by the State Transport Commissioner is to be submitted.
Process to obtain NOC (No- Objection Certificate):
- To get a no-objection certificate for registering the vehicle in the state of Punjab, you will have to approach the concerned RTO nearest to your location
- You can get details of the concerned RTO in your location through the RTO codes and RTO names
- Application is required to be made in the concerned RTO where your vehicle was previously registered in Form 28 in three copies along with the below-stated documents processing of your application
- The application form can also be obtained from the counter of the concerned RTO.
- You should make sure of your eligibility for applying for the registration procedure
- After filling the form, you will have to present it in one of the counters of the RTO along with the applicable fee, and then the RTO officials will start processing your application for the same.
- After verifying the application form for its correctness, a No objection certificate will be issued by the concerned RTO to you
Process of Transfer of Ownership of Vehicle in Punjab
If a vehicle owner in Punjab sells his/her vehicle to any other person, then the ownership of the vehicle has to be transferred to that other person without fail. For transferring the vehicle ownership, an application is required to be made to the concerned RTO Punjab in form no 29 and should be duly filled and submitted along with the relevant documents and fees. The documents required are stated below.
- Permanent Registration Certificate of the vehicle
- Valid insurance document of the vehicle
- No Objection Certificate in case the vehicle is registered outside the state of Punjab
- In case the vehicle is purchased as a loan, then a No Objection Certificate from also required to be submitted
- Pollution Under Control Certificate of the vehicle
- Valid Address proof of the owner of the vehicle
- Certified Affidavit stating about the deal of vehicle
Documents required to obtain No-Objection Certificate
The following documents are required for obtaining a No-Objection Certificate from the Regional Transport Office Punjab.
- Application in Form 28 to be submitted to the concerned RTO.
- Original Registration certificate of the vehicle
- Vehicle Certificate of Insurance
- Proper Evidence of Payment of tax up to date of Motor Vehicle
- Vehicle Pollution Under Control Certificate.
- Certificate of Police Verification
- Aadhaar card of the applicant
- Address and ID-Proof of the applicant
Process for Fancy/ Choice Registration Number from Punjab Regional Transport Office:
The transport department keeps aside specific special numbers out of all the numbers available to register vehicles. These numbers are fancy registration numbers that are through an open auction. The highest bidder of the number is allotted the registration number after payment of the prescribed fee. The registering authority may allot unutilised numbers to vehicles which the state government owns at zero extra charges. Suppose a vehicle owner wants to keep the registration number that was provided to their old vehicle for a new vehicle being registered. In that case, the vehicle owner will be charged 50% of the registration fee as fixed by the department for the number. Certain numbers are kept aside by the Transport Department of Punjab. The people who want to obtain such a fancy number for their vehicle can obtain it by bidding for the fancy number through an open auction organised by the Transport Department of Punjab. The highest bidder will be allotted their desired fancy vehicle registration number to the concerned RTO Punjab on payment of the prescribed fee.
To freely ply your vehicle in the state of Punjab and to avoid payment of any fines, fees, charges or penalty, you must get your vehicle registered with the regional transport office Punjab. The Transport department has simplified the registration process for the vehicles for the benefit of customers. Owners of the vehicles can use the RTO's portal for any queries or any application requests. When you buy a new vehicle, you may use your dealer's services to register the vehicle easily. Almost all the major dealers provide a temporary registration number in exchange for a price. However, if you want to register the vehicle by yourself, you can quickly proceed by following the steps mentioned above.