Regional Transport Office Tripura (RTO Tripura): An Overview
Motor Vehicles Act 1988 created the regional transport office in Tripura (RTO Tripura). The main objective of Tripura RTO is to ensure the implementation of the provisions of the Act. MV Act is a law that applies to the entire country. Regional Transport Office, Tripura (RTO Tripura) functions under the supervision of the Transport Commissioner.
Tripura RTO offers numerous services to the general public, including registering vehicles, granting permits, and issuing driving licenses; the list is endless. This article discusses the functions of RTO Tripura and the registration process to help you in future when registering a vehicle in Tripura RTO.
Functions of Regional Transport Office, Tripura (RTO Tripura)
Regional Transport Office, Tripura (RTO Tripura) does the following for the State and people living to ensure safe travel:
- Registration and collecting database of the vehicles
- Issues licenses
- Grants permits
- Issues fitness certificates
- Keeps a list of approved vehicles
- Imposes fines and penalties; levies them
Tripura RTO Codes and Locations
The regional transport office Tripura RTO works from different locations to function smoothly. Below is detailed information in this regard:
Tripura RTO Location and Address
Tripura RTO Code
Agartala, Agartala, West Tripura, Tripura - 799001
Kailashahar, Kailashahar, North Tripura, Tripura - 799277
Udaipura, Udaipur, South Tripura, Tripura - 799013
Udaipura, Udaipur, South Tripura, Tripura - 799013
Dharmanagar, Dharmanagar, North Tripura, Tripura - 799250
Ambassa, Ambassa, Tripura - 799289
Why Do You Need to Register Your Vehicle?
As you know, Motor Vehicles Act 1988 requires that every vehicle on the Indian road is registered. Ignoring or disregarding the same in Tripura RTO will attract huge fines and penalties.
Registering Your Vehicle in Tripura RTO
In Tripura RTO, vehicle owners are allowed two vehicle registration options: temporary and permanent registration of vehicles.
You may need to temporarily register your vehicle with the Tripura RTO in the following scenarios:
- It will take time to build the body of the vehicle from the chassis
- A non-transport vehicle must be taken from an RTO to where it was bought.
Know that a temporary vehicle registration in Tripura RTO is valid only for 30 days. You may request an extension. But long delays in permanent registration may bring up unpleasant surprises.
Follow the steps given below to register your vehicle temporarily with RTO Tripura:
- Contact your nearest RTO Tripura office.
- Submit an application in Form 10A. You can get it from the RTO Tripura office or download it online from the mParivahan Tripura website.
- Ensure that your application contains a sale certificate and the certificates of fitness, PUC and certification on safety from the dealer.
- Apply to Tripura RTO along with the required documents to the concerned authority.
- Pay the stipulated fees at the RTO Tripura counter.
- The RTO Tripura office will start the registration process if the application is accurate.
Documents required to Submit at RTO Tripura
- Form 10A duly filled
- Sales certificate from the dealer
- Certification from a dealer in road safety compliance and fitness
- Pollution Under Control certificate
- Address proof: EPIC, ration card, phone bill or electricity bill
- A valid certificate of insurance
- Copy of PAN card (if required)
You need to pay INR360 for three days for temporary registration. The first week till the end will cost you another INR360. The same is applicable for the next week. The fee required to extend your registration depends on your Tripura RTO office.
Permanent registration follows almost a similar procedure to follow in RTO Tripura. Register your vehicle at RTO Tripura within seven days of delivery if you don't plan to apply for temporary registration. You may apply for registration online on Tripura RTO’s official website.
Process of Registering Vehicles Brought From Outside RTO Tripura
If you settle down in Tripura from another State, you must register your vehicle at RTO Tripura. However, it is not necessary if it is registered with another State and you don’t plan to stay here for more than one year.
Submit the following documents when registering your vehicle at RTO Tripura that was brought from outside Tripura:
- Original certificate of registration
- No objection certificate, if required
- Form 27, filled up in detail
- Attested copy of address proof
- Valid insurance certificate
- Pollution under control certificate
- Tax as required by the Act
- Fee required for the purpose
- PAN card
Understand that re-registration of your vehicle brought from another State will depend on a National Crime Record Bureau clearance certificate.
Transferring Vehicle Ownership at RTO Tripura
If you sell your vehicle to another person, you must change its registration from RTO Tripura. Given below is a list of documents required for the purpose:
- Original registration certificate of the vehicle
- Form 29 (duplicate; properly filled up)
- Two copies of Form 30
- Attested copies of the address proof of the applicant
- Attested copy of a valid insurance certificate
- Copy of PAN card
- Attested copy of Pollution Under Control certificate
Upon verification of the documents, the RTO Tripura office lets you transfer your vehicle to the person of your choice. The process remains almost the same when re-registering your vehicle upon the death of its owner.
Applying for a No Objection Certificate in RTO Tripura
It is a document vehicle owners generally ignore. Most of the States you approach may not require you to have it. But having NOC is a must if you plan to settle in Tripura for long. You also need it when filing an insurance claim. The company may reject your claim if you cannot submit NOC on time.
- Contact your nearest RTO
- Submit Form 28 duly filled
- Pay the required fees at the counter
Upon verification of the application, the RTO Tripura official starts transferring the registration.
Documents required to Submit at Tripura RTO
- Form 28 (Triplicate)
- Attested copies of the registration certificate and the insurance document
- PUC certificate
- Tax clearance
- Receipt of payment of fees
- Pencil-print of the chassis and engine number
- Aadhar card
- Identification of the signature of the owner
You can also apply for NOC from Tripura’s RTO official portal.
Getting a Fancy Registration Number at RTO Tripura
A two-wheeler, for most of its owners, represents who they are. Naturally, you would want a fancy registration number for your bike from RTO Tripura. Follow the guide given below to apply for the same at Tripura RTO:
- Visit your nearest Tripura RTO office.
- Explore the list of numbers available for VIP registration.
- Since your vehicle is a personal one, choose the one that belongs to the non-transport category.
- Get Form 28 from the office and prepare a demand draft in its favour.
- If others are applying for the same number, you must bid.
- Submit the duly filled application form along with the demand draft.
- If others want the same number, the RTO Tripura office will invite you for an auction.
- Make sure that you are available for the process.
- You will receive a receipt if there are no other applicants for the number you choose. The RTO Tripura office may even return your demand draft.
You may complete the entire process online if you cannot visit Tripura RTO. Make sure that you purchase within one month of reserving the number.
Tripura RTO FAQ
1. What is the Tripura RTO code?
Ans. The RTO Tripura is spread over different locations and is represented with the codes TR01, TR06, TR02, TR07, TR08, TR04, TR03, and TR05.
2. How can I check my vehicle registration details at Tripura RTO?
Ans. The applicant may check all the vehicle registration details by visiting the official website or mParivahan Vahan e-services. You can simply go to the official RTO Tripura website, click on the online services section, and provide the registration number details. The vehicle registration details will be displayed.
3. What category of vehicles are not eligible to pay road tax in Tripura RTO?
Ans. Under the Motor Vehicle Tax Act, ambulance and hearse vehicles are not required to pay taxes.
4. Can I drive the vehicle from different states in the RTO Tripura region?
Ans. In case you are visiting Tripura for less than 12 months, there’s no need to re-register your vehicle at RTO Tripura. But if you plan to stay longer than one year or permanently shift to Tripura, re-registration of the vehicle at RTO Tripura is mandatory.
5. Is a learning license compulsory before applying for a driving license in RTO Tripura?
Ans. Yes, obtaining a learning license from Tripura RTO is mandatory before you apply for a driving license.